Sleeping in is one of those things that so rarely happens for me…and not getting up at 5:30 AM was truly a welcome change today for here in Ontario it is Family Day! But now that my batteries are recharged an my day is started:
Personal Branding is one of those touchy subjects that from my experience, both Employers and Employees get a little funny about. For the Employer, it may be the potential loss of an Employee because their personal marketing skills have them move on to a new job or it could be the potential risk of a Social Media Gaff. For Employees though, most see the personal brand as a pain, more work for no additional pay and the concept of having to tread lightly when it comes to a Personal Message it is just too risky to violate the Social Media Policies.
With just 2 months left before I celebrate my two year anniversary of this blog and my dive into Social Media and Personal Branding I can say that every minute worth of effort and hard work has paid off. I am in the business of relationship building and while my Job Description at work says that I am in Sales…I truly believe that we are all in sales so I would say that I turn that concept around and say that I am more of a Relationship Manager in a Sales Department.
It is interesting that my Personal Branding Efforts have allowed me to change what I do for a living from a peddler of wares to a Buying Facilitator and for many of my customers…a Trusted Advisor.
To be able to build a Personal Brand there are things that you have to respect:
- What is your Company’s Social Media Policy…find a way to work within it and never, ever break the rules when it comes to what those guidelines are!
- Add Value…if you are not adding value, then it does not matter how big your collection of LinkedIn Connections is…it doesn’t matter.
- Spread around the Wealth…The Social World is not a one Site Pony! Find a way to spread your message by using as many channels as possible.
- Social Media does not need to be expensive…the only expense that I have is my Annual Domain Name Charges and my Hosting Fee. I use free tools for everything else!
- Add Value…yes I know that I said that in #2 but it can not be stressed enough. It is not just about posting…it is about letting people see what you can do for them!
- Invest the Time to do it Right…Improving your Brand does not get a Day off. It is an EVERY DAY thing…but the good news is…it only takes a few minutes each day for it all to pay off.
If you are not sure on how to get started…well here are some ways that I found useful and there are more resources coming forward every day…just do a Google Search but if you want to dive into a deeper connection and get some insights from solid and reputable people in big books well here is a recommended reading list (All Links go to Amazon.com and I do not get a cut or any kickback…but I should really think about doing that…note to self)
- 501 Killer Marketing Tactics – ISBN: 978-0-07-174409-6
- A Networked Self – ISBN13: 978-0-415-80180-5
- Media Now – Understanding Media, Culture and Technology – ISBN-13: 978-1-4390-8257-7
- Teach Yourself LinkedIn in 10 Minutes – ISBN-13: 978-0-672-33085-8
- Branding Yourself – ISBN-13: 978-0-7897-4727-3
- Social Boom! – ISBN-10: 0-13-268605-8
The Reading List is not exhaustive by any means. I have invested heavily in my time to pull down and expand my personal library so that it currently encompasses over 1 TB of eBook and Audio Books and has completely filled 2 5 Shelf Book Cases (with some overflow to my desk at work).
Constant Learning and experimentation with your own way of doing the “Branding” is key because you are unlike a business or any other person. It really doesn’t matter what your job/career is today, everyone can benefit from diving into the world of Personal Branding.
Chris J Powell