Never in the history of technology has there been such an amazing array of cool gadgets that a techno geek can have access to! I have been mulling over the idea of a new smart phone for some time (ever since the SD card on my Motorola Milestone started to play havoc with EVERYTHING).
So I entered into the world of a good Geek Shopper and last night dived into the world of online reviews and wow what a selection of unlocked, 3G and 4G ready beauty! So now begins the decision…what do I want out of my phone?
Well first I need to narrow down the field with what I don’t want:
- NOT an iPhone – not for me…it may be the single most popular mobile phone in the history of phones but I can not bring myself to make the move to more Apple Products…I just can’t
- NOT a Windows 7 Phone – It’s Windows, its primary search is Bing.com , It’s Windows and well…its Windows
- No Keyboard – the slider feature of the Milestone was a selling feature for me to get it in the first place but I can count the number of times I have slid out the keyboard on 2 hands, and 3 of those were during my initial Rooting and subsequent update of the firmware (So that puts most of the Blackberry Products out of the running)
- Not a Chinese Knock Off – While I can get a ton of Goodness of 1/2 the retail price and no one will know…I got burned with my Cool K07 (a Palm Pre knock off) when it was found that there were no updates and no new installs possible on the phone (or if there was the complete lack of support and documentation made it impossible)
So I know what I don’t want, but what do I want from my phone?
- While I realize that Bleeding Edge today is a motionless pile of junk tomorrow so I need to find some balance on the specs but in looking at www.gsmarena.com for some inspiration over the past few days I am thinking I want at least a 1Ghz Processor, nothing less than 768 MB of Ram, 4 GB internal Memory and an SD Card Slot upgrade option
- The Form Factor – Touch Screen and Candy Bar…I am very much so impressed with the functionality of onscreen keyboards after using the Milestone, iPad and HP Zeen months now
- Screen Size – Gotta be 3.8 inches or more (after doing data transfer for one of the managers at work to is Nexus S) I know I need a bigger screen!
So with spec requirements in hand I plug in the information at the Phone Finder feature at GSM Arena and Voila this is what I get as a result:
So in looking at these phones, two are absolutely locked to carriers in the US and there would be questionable connections here in Canada with my current mobile provider. Similar to that, the Motorola Atrix is at the retail level only available through Bell but the phone itself is available unlocked.
The thing that I found strange is that I set my expectations on the search after looking at the HTC Droid Incredible 2 from Verizon that is being sold as a World Phone with options to connect to any and all types of networks…wow I got caught up in all this Droid loving and started reading through the Owners Manual for the Incredible 2.
My Search will continue but this will be a tougher decision than I have made in a very long time. Any assistance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers to all as we approach a Wonderful Summer Weekend!
Chris J Powell